Afghani Chicken Recipe
This delicious and flavor-packed Afghani Chicken dish is an international favorite. The marinade of earthy spices and the combination of cooked and dried fruits adds amazing depth to the chicken. The creamy, nutty sauce that it’s cooked in makes it extra special.
– 2 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into cubes
– 2 tablespoons oil
– ½ teaspoon turmeric
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 teaspoons cumin powder
– 2 teaspoons coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 2 teaspoons garam masala
– 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
– 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– ½ cup Arborio rice
– 2 medium onions, minced
– ½ cup raisins
– ½ cup slivered almonds
– 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, oil, turmeric, garlic, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
3. Add the onions, rice, raisins, and almonds to the skillet, and cook until the onions are softened and the rice is lightly toasted. Return the chicken, to the skillet, along with the lemon juice, yogurt, and fresh herbs. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Transfer the chicken mixture to a 9-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and the rice is cooked through.
5. Serve warm, topped with cilantro and parsley. Enjoy!