Afghan Chicken: A Fusion of Tangy and Spicy Flavors
Do you ever crave something that is part tangy and part spicy? Then Afghan Chicken is the perfect dish for you! Drawing on flavor inspirations from the Middle East, this dish is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
– 2 tablespoons curry powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/3 cup coconut milk
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, chicken cubes, curry powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice, and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
4. Add the honey and cilantro, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Serve over basmati rice. Enjoy!
This recipe brings together the delicious flavors of the Middle East, with the warm spices of curry powder and cumin. The sweetness of the honey and tanginess of the lemon combine beautifully, while the cilantro adds a gorgeous pop of color.
This meal can be served over basmati rice and would pair perfectly with a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. For a spin on traditional Afghan flavors, you could serve it with naan bread for scooping. It would also make a great filling for tacos or burritos.
You could also take this recipe up a notch by adding some fresh pomegranate seeds on top, or by stirring in some blanched almonds towards the end of cooking.
We think this is a great fusion of cultural influences and an ideal way to sample traditional Middle Eastern flavors. With the various herbs and spices used, you’ll be transported to another world as soon as you have your first bite. Try Afghan Chicken tonight and turn your kitchen into a flavor oasis!