This Pakistani Achari Chicken Recipe Is Bursting with Aromatic Flavours
If you’re looking for a creamy, spice-packed dish that’s full of rich and vibrant flavours, you’ve come to the right place. Achari chicken is a Pakistani dish of marinated chicken cooked slowly in a richly spiced tomato sauce, and it’s perfect for a comforting midweek dinner.
Taking its cue from traditional achaar (pickled spices) this recipe gives chicken a twist with a mix of fragrant spices and a hint of tanginess from the onion, chilli and tamarind. The combination of aromatic flavours helps draw out the juiciness of the chicken and create an intensely delicious dish.
• 4 chicken thighs, diced
• 2 tablespoons mustard oil/ vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 2 sliced onions
• 2 chillis
• 1 teaspoon garlic and ginger paste
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 tablespoon chilli powder
• 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup of water
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and add the fenugreek and cumin seeds. Fry for 1 minute then add the onions and chilli. Stir for 5 minutes until the onions are lightly browned.
2. Add the garlic and ginger paste, garam masala and chilli powder. Stir for 1 minute to allow the spices to cook.
3. Add the chicken and stir for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Add the tin of tomatoes and tamarind paste, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if needed.
5. Season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Finally serve hot, garnished with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy!
This Pakistani achari chicken dish is a perfect example of how multiple spices and ingredients can be combined to create a delicious mouth-watering meal bursting with aromatic flavours. It’s a great option for those who are looking for a hearty, spiced-up dish with a unique taste.
This dish is fairly versatile too, so if you want to make it milder or spicier, you can adjust the spices accordingly. You could even add some extra veggies to create a more balanced meal.
If you’re looking for recipes with similar flavours, why not try out butter chicken masala or Hyderabadi chicken dum biryani? They both bring an array of delicate spices and an intense depth of flavour with every bite.
So go ahead and give this Pakistani achari chicken dish a try – you won’t be disappointed!