This recipe is the perfect way to use leftover chicken or turkey or just when you want a very hearty winter meal. If you cant get tomatillos then just substitute with regular diced tomatoes. Add red chili flakes if you like your soups hot and spicy. For serving suggestions you can add one or all of the following and let people choose. Avocados, sour cream, limes ,tortilla chips or a nice crusty bread. As always if a dish is not thick enough for you simply add a little cornstarch.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (18.75 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 pound diced, cooked chicken meat
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil, and cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in broth, tomatillos, tomatoes, chillies, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, chicken, and beans; simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.