Everyone should know how to cook a rack of pork and while you are it why not make it just a little bit special.
This recipe is just perfect for making the most of the chilly winter evenings. Other than drinking it making some nice gravy is one of the best things you can do with cider.
You will be delighted how well pork and cider go together!
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red delight potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 lb pork loin rack, rind scored
- 1 cup sparkling apple cider
- 9 oz green beans, steamed, to serve
- home made or packet gravy
- Preheat oven to 420 F. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Return to saucepan. Using a potato masher, press down on potatoes to flatten. Transfer to a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Season with pepper. Toss to coat
- Meanwhile, combine salt, fennel and remaining oil. Rub all over pork. Place pork in a large flame proof roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and just cooked through.
- Add potatoes to oven 25 minutes before the end of cooking. Roast, turning halfway through cooking, until golden. Transfer pork and potatoes to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, heat roasting pan over medium heat. Add cider. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add gravy. Cook, stirring, until gravy is heated through. Serve pork with potatoes, gravy and beans.