I don’t know about you but whenever I bring home cake I always get excited. But then again, I’m always in a good mood when desserts are on the table. I am never in a bad mood when making them or when buying from the cake shop. What’s not to like about cakes, right?
They come in all shapes and sizes. They’re both colorful and delicious; it’s what makes significant moments like birthdays and weddings more special. I can’t imagine ever celebrating anything without a cake present. It’s absurd to me.
At home I always celebrate small milestones especially when my kids make them. And every time we celebrate that, I always have this cake prepared for them. It’s the no non-sense cake. It’s made out of chocolate and comes in a roll. My entire family adores chocolates and cakes; so this is just the perfect recipe that gives us the best of both worlds. It’s a bit tricky to make but all worth it in the end. I know you might have other chocolate roll cakes in your life, but you haven’t had one like this.
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Begin by preheating the oven to 325°F. Next, take a parchment paper and place it on a 15 and a half by 10 and a half inches jelly roll pan. Grease and flour slightly.
- Next, separate the eggs. Then beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they stiffen. Gradually add in ½ cup of sugar.
- Then, sift the remaining sugar, cocoa and flour together in a large bowl. Beat the egg yolks and fold it into the dry (flour) mixture.
- Next, add the vanilla. Knowing that the egg yolk mixture would be stiff, carefully fold it into the beaten egg whites.
- Pour this batter into the jelly roll pan and spread evenly.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let the cake cool for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn over into a paper towel sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar. Then peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up with the towel.
- Allow the cake to cool off completely. Unroll the cake and then spread the whipped cream. Then, roll it again back into shape.
- You have two sauce choices to serve the cake with; Foamy Butter Sauce or Fudge Sauce.
- For variation, you can add 2 tablespoons of rum or your favorite liqueur to the whipped cream. This serves 8.